Geoffrey Gurrumul


For my Mum's birthday, I'm taking her to dinner and then to see Geoffrey Gurrumul at the Palais theatre tonight. Ive seen a few shows at the Palais and have fallen in love with it's other-worldly, haunting and historic atmosphere. I'm sure seeing Gurrumul weave his magic in this environment is going to be epic and I'm super excited. My Mum loves his music so it's the perfect thing to treat her to. If you aren't familiar with his music, I recommend you find out more about him here.

Gurrumul [his traditional name] is a member of the Gumatj clan of north east Arnhemland and it is the songs and stories of the Gumatj clan that Gurrumul sublimely adapts into contemporary song styles. At the age of 15 he was identified as a young and extremely talented multi-instrumentalist and joined the ARIA Award winning band Yothu Yindi where he played an integral role until 1992.

What makes Gurrumul even more fascinating is the fact that he is blind, and as a result his music hits me on an emotional level that I have rarely experienced. I'm a punk rock kid at heart, with a record collection that makes absolutely no sense, and Gurrumul's work fits in there perfectly. xxx